MS-DRGs are Easily Support Through AAPC Coder
Facilities billing inpatient care rely on Multiple Severity - Diagnostic Related Groups (MS-DRGs) to report episodes of care and receive reimbursement. Encompassing 20 body areas and gathered into around 500 groupings, MS-DRGs are determined based on the ICD-10-CM primary diagnosis codes assigned to the case. Complications and comorbidities (CC) add to the severity and reimbursement of the episodes of care.
Proper MS-DRG assignment requires a number the right tools based on ICD-10-CM and PCS codes and guidelines, current Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) data, up-to-date federal guidelines, and well-written software, all of which AAPC Coder provides. Here are some examples:
- ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding - Quickly find the ICD-10 code that best describes the patient's diagnosis or procedure with a look-up tool that includes the very latest from CMS. Intuitive and accurate, AAPC's electronic coding tools are designed for coders by coders.
- Major Diagnostic Categories - AAPC Coder's MDC look-up tool helps you crosswalk the proper ICD-10 codes with the MDCs your patient represents. Outlier and CC status won't fool you as you use our intuitive tool.
- DRG Grouper - Imagine calculating in a few moments what it would take a spreadsheet to accomplish. AAPC Coder's grouper allows you to enter one or more ICD-10 codes, along with some other required inputs, click a button, and get the resulting DRG and other important information (including the Relative Weight, Length of Stay, Procedure Type, Post Acute Indication and other items).
- DRG Payment Calculator - You can calculate your reimbursement with our integrated DRG Payment Calculator, where you can input some additional information to see how much Medicare will pay for that episode of care. The payment calculator shows the different payment components (Federal Operating Payment, Operating Indirect Medical Education Add-on, Operating Disproportionate Share Hospital Add-on, other add-ons and adjustments etc.) as well as the Billed Outlier Threshold (if costs were unusually high - which can qualify for an additional outlier payment).
- AAPC Coder's Additional Content - AAPC Coder keeps you up-to-date on regulatory changes by updating when needed. Find links, articles about, and the regulations that will help you be efficient and effective. Coding Clinic and other resources can be added on as you need them.